Having full faith in Jesus guarantees eternal life, according to John chapter 6. The Lord taught this in many other verses in the Holy Bible. Did disciples stop following Jesus in those verses?
Some say the disciples left Jesus in John chapter 6 because Jesus taught that the requirement to obtain eternal life is to believe in him. This however is taught in many other verses where the disciples did not leave him.
Here are some verses:
- For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life. John 3:16
- Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him. John 3:36
- Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life. John 5:24
What does the word believe mean?
- Believe means to accept as true; feel sure of the truth of.
- To believe is to accept what Jesus commands us to do.
- To accept all that Jesus taught as truth is the definition of believing in Jesus.
- Do you accept? If so, then you believe!